19 March 2013

I really don't know what to call this one...

My last entry may have been taken slightly out of context and I apologies for anything I may have said that caused offence. I love the Betty Pharaoh. When I can I always start my road season at the Legstretchers, it's an event I will support until I can't turn the pedals anymore and I'm more than happy that the attitude of the bigger teams is so similar to mine in that respect. We're loosing a lot of races in the UK. To see such a high turn out across the board from 4th cat to Elite is always a good thing.

I have nothing but respect for the UK Youth Team, it's riders, staff and even more so for the UK Youth Charity they represents.

The short version of what I wanted to say yesterday was; I went into the race with a mind set that said I could win it. A very ambitious mind set but, from the information I could gather before that Sunday morning, a realistic one. My gripe was nothing to do with the teams that turned up on the day but more my own mentality and positive attitude being crushed. I allowed myself to, naively, form these attitudes by think that in an E123 race there wouldn't be Elite riders entering on the line. I thought the strength of the field could be judged by the start sheet. Under slightly different circumstances I would have been right. On this occasion I was wrong. That didn't change the fact I was still going to attack it in the same way.

I was incredibly intimidated when arriving at the start of the race to see such a professional outfit laid out over the far end of the HQ's car park. Who wouldn't be in my shoes? I've made my intentions clear simply by making this blog that I intend to be racing at a semi professional level 12 months from now.That is going to mean, somewhere along the way, meeting and beating larger teams. I just wasn't expecting to be confronted with that challenge so early in the season or so soon into my training (lets not forget last year for me was a disaster. This year has started from a blank slate, I have a long way to go before achieving my goals)

The reason I made this blog wasn't because I am currently capable of racing at the standard required in France. Quite the opposite. I am aware that I currently lack the fitness and financial means to make my way over there, if I did I wouldn't be writing this particular blog entry during my lunch break at work in Manchester. I'm writing this blog from the stand point of someone who loves the sport and is starting from the very bottom and working his way up. I'm sure almost all sports men and women can relate to that. My previous entry was more about the experience of rocking up to an event in a clapped out old car, unloading out dated kit from the boot and competing against teams or other athletes who are well funded and have the cost of transport covered for them or at least greatly cut. Who hasn't had that kind of thing happen to them at some point?

All I want this blog to be is simply an account of my experiences while attempting to do something I know a lot of riders in my position want to try. I didn't intend to cause any offence and I apologise if my wording came off a little aggressive or inflammatory but I'm thinking my intention may have been misunderstood too.  I think I quite neatly summed up what I aim to achieve with the introduction paragraph to the blog. It's a romantic idea, it might work, it might not, I just want to have fun doing it.

1 comment:

  1. keep writing and keep riding!
    Keep your enthusiasm up too. It is nice to see the Betty Pharoah still going strong, it is a good race and she was a lovely lady.
    (I've spent 40 years in Wales, just moved to Scotland)

    ReplyDelete